We’ve been on a school break but on Monday I get to step into my international classroom and do what I do everyday: train little hearts and minds to be proactive, positive, wise and compassionate human being. Most days I take these things for granted but now more than ever I’m realizing how important these skills are.
Here are the things we work on in third grade every single day:
- Listen when someone else is speaking and ask clarifying questions when you don’t understand.
- Be assertive when you perceive that you or someone else has been wronged and use words to solve your problem.
- Remember empathy towards those who are different or need help. Empathy is trying to understand the other person’s perspective by asking questions, putting yourself in their shoes and choosing to lift them up rather than tear them down.
- THINK before you speak (or write…or comment)
- T-is it True?
- H-is it Helpful?
- I-is it Inspiring?
- N-is it Necessary?
- K-is it Kind?
- Admit when you are wrong and ask forgiveness.
- Forgive those who have wronged you.
- When you are angry, take a time out to breathe, calm down and then come back to solve the problem.
- Stay focused and on task!
These are reminders for myself.